The Can-Do Attitude Team
 
Daniel and Daniel Realty, Inc. Logo
Daniel and Daniel Realty - Central Virginia's Real Estate Choice
Agents Properties MLS Search Communities Rental List Contact
Welcome
Prince George County in the Central Virginia region is bordered by the James River on the north and the Appomattox River on the west. The cities of Petersburg and Colonial Heights constitute the southwest border, and the city of Hopewell forms the northeast border.
For the Civil War buff, the Petersburg National Battlefield Park at City Point was a supply base for the Union forces fighting at Petersburg. Prince George’s Flowerdew Hundred is one of the best preserved early 17-century English settlements discovered in America.
Recreational opportunities in the area provide rivers for fishing, boating and water skiing, two county parks and forests that yield many deer, turkey and small game for hunters. Presquile National Wildlife Refuge is an un-staffed satellite of the Eastern Virginia Rivers National Wildlife Refuge Complex. The Refuge is a 1329-acre island in the James River. With the James and Appomattox Rivers, fishing, boating and swimming are popular outdoor activities
The city of Hopewell is located in the southeastern area of the Central Virginia region at the confluence of the Appomattox and James Rivers.
The area, first settled in the early 1600s, has played significant roles in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Appomattox Manor in Hopewell’s historic City Point was used as headquarters by Gen. Grant during the later part of the War of Northern Aggression. Hopewell also is the gateway to Virginia's historic James River Plantations, including Brandon, Berkeley, Shirley, Westover and Evelynton.
Petersburg is located in the Tri-Cities area of Richmond-Petersburg in the Central Virginia region. It is located on the Appomattox River at the fall line.
Petersburg came of importance to the American Civil War during the Overland Campaign of Union General Ulysses S. Grant. At the time, Petersburg was the lifeline to Richmond, the Capital of the Confederacy, and a 292-day siege led up to Confederate General Robert E. Lee's surrender and the end of the Civil War. Visitors can visit the actual battlefields and the Pamplin Historical Park & the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier in Petersburg.
Petersburg also is a center of African-American history and heritage with a famous Underground Railroad House for escaping slaves and Pocahontas Island, an early neighborhood for freed slaves. Virginia State University is in Petersburg, too
Fort Lee is a United States Army post and headquarters of the U.S. Army Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM), U.S. Army Quartermaster Center and School (QMCS), the Army Logistics Management College (ALMC) and the U.S. Defence Commissary Agency (DeCA). A U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) unit, the 49th Quartermaster Group (Petroleum and Water), is stationed here. Fort Lee also hosts two Army museums, the U.S. Army Quaretermaster Museum and the U.S Army Women’s Museum. The fort is named for Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
World War I
Just 18 days after a state of war with Germany was declared, the first Camp Lee was selected as a state mobilization camp and later became a division training camp.
In June 1917, building began and within sixty days, 14,000 men swarmed over the newly designed military installation.
When construction work ended, there were accommodations for 60,335 men. On July 15, 1917, the War Department announced that the camp would be named in honor of General Robert E. Lee, the most famous of the Confederate Civil War commanders.
After World War I, Camp Lee was taken over by the Commonwealth of Virginia and designated a game preserve. Later, portions of the land were incorporated into the National Military Park of Petersburg.
World War II
In October 1940, the War Department ordered the construction of another Camp Lee on the site of the earlier installation. Built as rapidly as the first, construction was still ongoing when the Quartermaster Replacement Training Center started operation in February 1941.
Camp Lee was also the home of a Medical Replacement Training Center, but as the Quartermaster training increased, it was decided to relocate the MRTC at Camp Pickett.
Later, the QMRTC was redesignated as an Army Services Forces Training Center, but it retained its basic mission of training Quartermaster personnel.
While the QMRTC was getting underway, the Quartermaster School was transferred to Camp Lee. A full program of courses was conducted, including Officer Candidate School. By the end of 1941, Camp Lee was the center of both basic and advanced training of Quartermaster personnel and held this position throughout the war.
Camp Lee to Fort Lee
When World War II ended, the fate of Camp Lee was in question. In 1946, the War Department announced that Camp Lee would be retained as a center for Quartermaster training. Official recognition of its permanent status was obtained in 1950 and the post was redesignated as Fort Lee.
Immediately troops began Quartermaster training for the Korean War and continued for the next three years.Fort Lee also had a WAC ( Women's Army Corp)training Center. In order not to offend the WACs, QMC recruits were not allowed to sing Jody verses. Only "Hup, 2 3 4 " was allowed. Actually the WACs could out-curse the men anytime.After the Korean War, progress was made on an ambitious permanent building program.
Under the twenty year program, Fort Lee changed from an installation of temporary wooden structures to a modern Army post with permanent brick and cinder block buildings.
The Quartermaster Training Center, created to supervise the training of Quartermaster personnel and troop units, brought an intensification of training activity within the Quartermaster Corps. As a result, the courses formerly taught at other locations were incorporated in the curriculum of the Quartermaster School.
Profound changes were evident at Fort Lee during 1962. The post became a Class 1 military installation under Second United States Army. The Quartermaster School became a part of the Continental Army Command service school system and was also selected to serve as the home of the Quartermaster Corps and Corps Historian. The Second US Army was inactivated in 1966.
In July 1973, Fort Lee came under the control of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command.
Equal Housing Opportunity Realtors